The problem with front panel space is that its limited.
I definitely wanna go 1U, so its going to be a tight place, especially as i wanna use knobs that have 40/30mm diameter clear plastic discs.
electric design wise, will go as the following:
– on each channel:
– EQ bypass
– 2band shelve EQ with selectable frequencies
– a gain knob
– after the EQ, every channel has its dedicated output buffer
– OPAMP based
– DOA based (eg. Neumann OA10)
– transformer based
the only question is how to make them exchangable while running.
as every channel has its own output section, you could use
different transformers for MID and SIDE signal,
– after the buffer is a passive Volume knob to saturate the buffer and pull the vol down.
– around all this is a Neumann style MS-L/R – L/R-MS matrix
encode and decode are switchable to be able to decide when and if to en/decode.